
Tonight was a historic night, one that I doubt my grandparents ever thought they'd see. One that my Grandpa Stephens didn't live to see. One that Uncle Sellars, Uncle Rose, and Uncle Bobby didn't get to see either. After 17 months of bitter campaigning, wonderous highs and profound lows Barack Obama won enough delegates to become the presumptive nominee of the Democratic Party for the 2008 Presidential Election.
For those of you living under a rock Barack Obama is the first black man to become the nominee of a major party - Ever. To be honest, I felt the same way my grandparents probably feel, that I'd never see the day that a black man could become president. I thought I'd see a woman in office before a black person of either gender.
I want to end on a positive note about what is rather than what may not have happened. Barack Obama won an amazing race. As soon as he stepped out of the tunnel tonight for his speech tears came to my eyes. I rarely cry tears of joy in this fashion. I tilted my face to the sky and praised God for allowing me to see this day and giving Barack Obama the opportunity to turn this country around. I thank Him for showing the greatness of this country, for the voters who could see past race and vote based on the issues, based on who they think will truly do a better job than the one we've gotten for the last 8 years. I blessed the Lord for now being able to honestly tell my children, "Yes baby, you can be President of the United States"
Here are my reasons for supporting Obama, as I was quoted on Glamocracy, a blog on Glamour.com
"I'm backing Barack Obama because he radiates sincerity. He's not the typical
politician in my eyes. Sure, he's a polished and powerful speaker, but it's more
than that. His proposals on immigration, health care, the war, fall right in
line with what I feel. So add his views to his messages of change and hope and I
feel that this country can turn the page from Bush and his shenanigans. His
campaign is completely grassroots. Plus, Obama.Is.Hot"
For those of you who missed Obama's speech here's the link I got off of his website, http://www.barackobama.com/
Tonight a battle was won. The war still continues and I know that Barack Obama is the right Commander in Chief for the job.
Yes We Can '08!!!!
1 comment:
I have no idea where I was yesterday!! I just heard the news this morning!! You know I have to call Rob now and spread the news!!
Post a Comment